Choosing a school
The last thing you want to do is choose a beauty school just because it's nearby.
Sure, location is important. That's why FindABeautySchool.com lets you look for schools in your own state or ZIP code.
But be sure to check out beauty schools for these important features too:
Will you get a solid education? The key word here is "accreditation." Accredited schools have met U.S. government standards for teaching, so you can expect to get a good education. Accreditation is also a requirement for federal financial aid to students. All schools listed on FindABeautySchool.com are accredited.
Several agencies work with the U.S. government to accredit schools, including:
- The National Accrediting Commission of Cosmetology Arts and Sciences, or NACCAS
- The Council on Occupational Education, or COE
- The Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology, or ACCSCT
- The Accrediting Commission of Independent Colleges and Schools, or ACICS
Can you get help paying tuition? Many beauty schools offer financial aid. They may be able to help you get additional aid such as scholarships, low-interest student loans or state and federal grants.
Can you get help finding a job after you graduate? Find out whether a school offers job placement services for graduates. Ask what percentage of the school's graduates have gone on to beauty careers.
Visiting the school
Seeing for yourself - there's just no substitute. When you tour the campus, here are some questions to bring up:
- How have courses kept up with the latest trends and advances?
- How are teachers trained?
- How are students taught to gain and keep clients?
- How many product brands do students get experience with? Are the products in various price ranges?
- Does the class schedule work for you?
- Do students get regular advising and progress reports?
You've done your homework. You've visited the campus, talked with staff and students and done a little research on your own. So you're probably the best one to answer these questions:
- Is the campus location convenient and safe?
- Does the campus seem like a good learning environment?
- Do you feel welcome when you visit the campus? Do others take an interest in you?